The following 3 points are on a parabola defining the edge of a ski.
The general form for the equation of a parabola is
- Use the x- and y-values of 1 of the points to build a linear equation with 3 variables: A, B, and C. Record your equation here.
- Repeat this process with 1 of the other 2 points to build a 2nd linear equation. Record your equation here.
- Repeat this process with the other point to build a 3rd equation. Record your equation here.
- Build a matrix equation that represents this system of equations. Record your matrix equation here.
- Use a graphing calculator or other graphing utility to find the inverse of the coefficient matrix. Record your result here.
- Use the inverse matrix to solve the system of equations. Record the equation of the parabola here.