What has the diversity mix been (how have diverse groups been represented) in organizations where you have worked? Where you have lived and now live? Where you grew up?.
Self-reflection and discussion of diversity with a personal action plan for improvement. This is a self-analysis.
Write an 800-1000 word personal reflection paper based on the following questions which address key aspects of diversity. Write a narrative paper – do not simply answer the questions.
- What has the diversity mix been (how have diverse groups been represented) in organizations where you have worked? Where you have lived and now live? Where you grew up?
- When you were growing up, did you interact with diverse groups? What was the result or impact?
- Do you make an effort to learn more about diverse groups of which you are not a part? If so, how do you do this? If not, would you consider doing this? Which diverse groups?
- When you meet or begin working with a person who is a member of a diverse group you are not familiar with, what do you do?
- Do you sometimes tolerate bias or prejudice in the workplace, to avoid conflict? (Up to 90% of people are known to do this, according to the television show “What Would You Do”.)
- If the head of your organization or work unit said that the next open position would be reserved for someone who is: gay/lesbian/bisexual, African-American, Hispanic/Latino, or someone with a disability, what would your reaction be?
- What 1-3 things will you do differently, in order to expand your diversity understanding and behavior? This will be your personal action plan.
- You will not be graded on how you respond to the questions; you will be graded on your description, discussion, and analysis as well as your action/improvement plan.
This and all assignments in this class should be formatted using APA style including running head, page number, headings, citations, reference page including a minimum of 3 reference