Tim and Sarah Lawrence are married and file a joint return. Tim’s Social Security number is 123-45-6789, and Sarah’s Social Security number is 111-11-1111. They reside at 100 Olive Lane, Covington, LA 70434. They have two dependent children, Sean and Debra, ages 12 and 16, respectively. Sean’s Social Security number is 123-45-6788, and Debra’s Social Security number is 123-45-6787. Tim is a self-employed businessperson (sole proprietor of an unincorporated business), and Sarah is a corporate executive. Tim has the following income and expenses from his business.
- Gross income: $325,000
- Business expenses: $201,000
Records related to Sarah’s employment provide the following information.
- Salary: $145,000
- Unreimbursed travel expenses (including $200 of meals): $1,100
- Unreimbursed entertainment expenses: $500
Other pertinent information for the tax year includes the following.
- Proceeds from sale of stock acquired on July 15, 2017 (cost of $12,000), and sold on August 1, 2017: $9,800
- Proceeds from sale of stock acquired on September 18, 2016 (cost of $5,000), and sold on October 5, 2017: $3,800
- Wages paid to full-time domestic worker for housekeeping and child supervision: $10,000
- Interest income received: $7,000
- Total itemized deductions (not including any potential deductions above: $27,900
- Federal income tax withheld: $31,850
- Estimated payments of Federal income tax: $34,000
What are their capital gains and losses?
What is their household employment tax?
What is the net tax payable or refund due for Tim and Sarah?