Your assignment is consisting of theoretical as well experimental components. This assignment overall includes 100 marks which is about 33% of your final marks for this module. The theoretical part includes 65% and practical will form 35% of your this assignment. The quality of reporting will be also accommodated in your final scores. After you have done the assignment, you need to prepare a report including a document ideally 2000-3000 words. MECH41000 Fundamental Of Mechanics And Thermofluid
This document includes
1) Title page Including name for the document, your name, Id and contact detail
2) Abstract including your brief understanding of thermodynamic science and how this knowledge helps you did the assignment. You can also mention some of the most important findings during solving the questions in the assignment. Abstract should not be more than 250 words.
3) Including brief literature review about groundbreaking findings of thermodynamic and how thermodynamic helps us improve our life on earth.
4) Methodology: including the concepts that helps you solving the questions in the assignment.
5) Result and discussion: including results of the questions in this assignment involving graphs tables, numbers if appropriate.
7) Including your understanding of thermodynamic and should encompass the knowledge you acquired through lectures as well as in tutorials or even by doing this assignment.
8) you need to mention either any online sources or scientific article to prepare document.
The quality of your report plays a significant role in your final marks and include 10% of assignment. It should be clear, uniform, and continuous covering the aforementioned requirement. Your report should be in Arial 12 with single line spacing the way this document is. It should be fit into A4 page with 2 cm indentation from every corner of the document. The titles and heading can be larger with 14 font size.
The diameter of piston is 50 cm. In the cylinder, there is air 100 kg at 20 oC at 101325 Pa when the stone is not still touching the piston. Determine:
a) Velocity of stone at threshold of contacting the piston.
b) Total energy that air will receive from the stone. (g = 9.8 m/s2)
c) The change of internal energy of the air. If the stone collides the piston and rest top of it, the air is losing 100 J energy during expansion at constant pressure.
d) The temperature of air after fall of stone. (Cp=1.01 kJ/kg.K)
e) To what extent the piston is going down in cm. (assume the ideal gas condition for air at this condition, Pv=nRT)
f) Now consider that the stone bounce off the cylinder and piston finally take it initial state and be at the same location with gaining 100 J at constant pressure.
Determine the temperature inside the cylinder. (The final should be atmospheric till the cylinder be at the same location)
4) A Steam Turbine is able to receive saturated vapor at different pressures and velocities which converts it completely to a saturated liquid at the turbine exit. If it is to extract the energy of 2 kg/s vapor during operation. The outlet velocity of the liquid is constant 7 m/s for all operating points that the turbine can cover. Please draw a graph showing work versus:
a) Different velocities starting from 10 m/s to 30 m/s with step size 5 m/s for inlet pressure 10 MPa.
b) Different pressure inlets of stream started from 10 to 20 MPa with step size 2 MPa for fluid velocity 15 m/s.
A heat-powered portable air compressor consists of three components:
(a) an adiabatic compressor,
(b) a constant-pressure heater (heat supplied from an outside source), and
(c) an adiabatic turbine.
Ambient air enters the compressor at ranges 100-200 kPa, 300 K and is compressed to 600 kPa. All the power from the turbine goes into the compressor and If turbine outlet pressure is required to be 300 kPa, what must the temperature be at the exit of the heater? Draw a graph and provide discussion for temperature against inlet pressure of the compressor?
To find our objective which is to show the trend of room temperature against the mass of water in the fridge, first you need assume specific mass for bottle of water in the fridge (let say; 5 10 15 20 kg) (Cp 4186 J/kg). Then, you may need to follow the below procedure
1) Find the conditions of points 1, 2 ,3 and 4 using steam tables for ammonia. (5 Marks)
2) Draw a graph representing the trend of room temperature against the mass of water in the fridge. (5 Marks)
3) Calculate the entropy generation in the ammonia cycle as a system and room as an environment. For this part, do the calculations for every mass of water in the fridge and assume the room temperature is constant at whatever it should be. (5 Marks)
4) Draw P-V, V-T and S-T diagram for ammonia using steam tables. Afterwards, show the position of point 1-4 in the diagram and discuss how the mass of water in the fridge could influence the condition of ammonia in the engine of fridge.
5) From the trend you have obtained, discuss how the performance of fridge in under the influence of water. For how much water in the fridge, you expect that fridge stops working. For this part, you should consider the temperature of condenser and evaporator constant at 40 and -20 oC and use the fact the compressor is not able to compress any liquid meaning that the output of the condenser could be exceptionally saturated liquid at 40 oC. MECH41000 Fundamental Of Mechanics And Thermofluid