Health LiteracyReview this table (the second column is also available in your textbook in Table 7-3) : Health Literacy Factors Communication Skills (spoken, written, sign language) Knowledge Cul.
Review this table (the second column is also available in your textbook in Table 7-3) :
Health Literacy Factors
- Communication Skills (spoken, written, sign language)
- English-Language proficiency
- Complexity of health care and context
Health Outcomes related to low-levels of health literacy
- High mortality rates
- Increased number of unnecessary hospitalization
- Decreased use of preventive health services
- Lower levels of physical functioning and quality of life
- Lower ability to effectively manage chronic diseases
- Higher risk of medication errors
- Lower ability to comprehend insurance coverage information
- Higher health care costs
Discuss how at least three of the health literacy factors in the first column affect one health outcome as identified in the second column. You must use at least two scholarly sources in your discussion.
Guided Response: Explain how at least one other factor from the first column could contribute to the poor health outcome that your classmates discussed. From your readings and research, describe your recommendations that would reduce the health literacy issue that you identified and improve the health outcome. You must use at least one scholarly source to support your response.