Describe the psychological theory or theories that relate to the mental disorders, especially in the areas of diagnosis and treatment..
For Week 3, utilize the mental disorder categories from DSM-5 to do a annotated bibliography on current research (within the last five years) on two disorders derived from the following list of mental disorder categories:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Neurocognitive disorders
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other disorders
- Depressive disorders
- Bipolar and related disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Trauma- and stressor-related disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders
- Somatic symptom and related disorders
- Eating disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Personality disorders
The literature review is part of a final paper which will be due in Week 5. As part of choosing scholarly journal articles for the literature review, you will use the following subtopics in determining what articles to use.
- Describe from the origins or history of the mental disorders.
- Describe the psychological theory or theories that relate to the mental disorders, especially in the areas of diagnosis and treatment.
- Describe the difference, if any, in age of onset and diagnostic criteria based on gender.
- Explain the potential impact of the mental disorders on the individual and his or her family.
- Explain the social perceptions of the mental disorders from stigma to advocacy.