Briefly define each of the four acts: FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA.
Four acts—FMLA, COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA—passed by Congress greatly define the arena of benefits. For this assessment, complete the following:
- Briefly define each of the four acts.
- Cite one current issue that employers should be or are concerned with for each act. In defining your current issues:
- Describe why each is an issue.
- Include an example of an organization that has violated the act.
- Describe the violation and the penalties that were imposed.
You may reference textbooks, your current work environment, an interview with a colleague, a head of human resources, an article from a popular business publication, or related information from the Capella library. Refer to the course library guide listed in the Resources for relevant databases and search strategies for conducting research on regulation of benefits. You may also find the Four Laws that Govern Benefits Programs multimedia piece linked in the Resources to be useful as you complete your assessment. Be sure to use proper APA style in citing and referencing your sources.