Based on the PepsiCo-India case (Kanter et al., 2011), you are expected to
critically reflect and discuss the following points in a discursive, analytical style:
1. The extent of obligation on the company to concern itself with issues
other than profitability such as societal and ethical responsibility to all
2. The challenge of resolving the strategic tension of purpose between
business performance and responsibility and ethical concerns in the
context of the profitability versus responsibility tension as outlined by
De Wit and Meyer (2005) and discussed in class.
3. The extent to which the company can achieve a compromise between
the two different purposes and whether is it is a compromise at all; can
PepsiCo India achieve the genius of “and” rather than have to accept
the tranny of “or” (Collins and Porras, 2002) and embrace both purposes
at the same time?
4. The extent to which the challenge facing PepsiCo India is a conflict
between the short-term objectives of delivering deliver superior profits
and financial performance and longer term objectives such as the
management of natural resources, enhancing employee welfare, and
5. The extent to which there is a business case for PepsiCo India’s mission
of “Performance with purpose”.