Assignment: Boiling and Melting Points Exploration
Analysis and Conclusions
1. Looking at the line plots on your graph, describe how boiling point and melting point vary with respect to atomic number.
2. Now look at the segment of the graph between the two data points marked with black squares. Describe how the boiling point and melting point plots behave between these points. Be as specific as possible.
3. On your graph, the data points between the black squares are data for elements with atomic numbers 3 through 9. Locate these elements on your periodic table. What term or description would you use to identify these elements with respect to the periodic table?
4. Now look at the green lines you created by connecting the three boiling point data points and the three melting point data points. For each of these lines, describe any trends you see.
5. Locate the elements on your periodic table that you circled in green on your graph. What term or description would you use to identify these elements with respect to the periodic table?
6. After reviewing your answers to questions 2 and 4 above, would you define boiling point and melting point as a periodic table family trend (vertical groups), period trend (horizontal rows), or neither? Explain your answer.
7. Using the room temperature line (orange line) and your periodic table, make lists that identify the state of matter (gas, liquid, or solid) in which each element you plotted exists at room temperature. Explain your answers.